Cracking the PTE exam is a tough task because of its extensive pattern. Starting from your vocabulary to your diction, it checks everything and anything related to language skills. One such key language skill that is going to be under the scan while attempting the PTE exam is your ability to describe an image and sum-up it in your words.
In this article, we would be explaining everything about PTE Describe Image Section.
Number of questions – 5 to 6
Negative marketing – No
Time to answer per question – Around 30-40 seconds
Type of images – In this section, the test taker has to describe a variety of images including Pie-charts, Bar graphs, Maps, Photos, Mixed type images, System diagrams, Line graphs, Process Diagrams, and Tables.
How you will be scored?
In the PTE Speaking section, you will be scored depending upon how well you have described the key information of the image. The general scoring scheme for this section is:
- 5 – If the test-taker has described all image elements and their relationships with each other, proper sentence development, and has given the possible conclusion.
- 4 – You will score 4 if you have described all the key elements of the image and their relations and explained their reference to a conclusion.
- 3 – If you have described most of the image and refer to their implications or conclusions then you are going to score 3
- 2 – Your score will be 2 only if you have mentioned one key element in the image and refer to implication or conclusion.
- 1 – If you have mentioned some basic elements of the image, but their interrelations or implications are vague then you will fetch 1 mark.
- 0 – The evaluator will mark you 0 if you have mentioned the disjointed image elements and there is no relation with each other.
How to score big in the PTE Describe Image section?
Well, you are aware of the exam pattern and scoring, the next thing that demands your attention is the tips and tricks to score big in the exam. So, here we go.
- A well-structured answer is what every evaluator hunts for.
So, you have understood the image and now ready to describe it. While you aim so, make sure your answer is well-defined and has a proper structure. The three key parts of an answer are:
Beginning – A brief image introduction.
Main Body – Contains your chief statement and response about the image and its key elements.
Conclusion – Your final understanding of the image.
- Be creative with template
Using the template for answering the PTE Describe Image questions is the best way to ensure you are giving a well-constructed answer. However, there is still one more thing that demands your attention and it is using different templates for different describe image question types. It makes your answer more targeted and helps you fetch high scores.
- Speak at the right time
Your response is what matters here. So, you must speak at the right time. You will get 40 seconds to describe each image. Before this, there will be a countdown of 25 seconds.
After this countdown only, your microphone will open up. So, never start answering before the microphone open ups. Also, speaking once the allotted time is over is of no use. So, try to finish your response by 35 seconds. Speaking at the right time is as important as speaking right.
- Make most of the erasable notepad
There are lots of elements to note down in this section. If there bar graphs and pie charts then there will be some readings and units mentioned. If you want to include all this in your response then using erasable notepad is the ideal way to capture all the unites and reading. Keep on taking notes of all the time units and reading on this using shorthand and you are ready to frame an in-depth response
- Practice makes you perfect
It is more than imperative to test your preparations before the actual exam. Practicing in a real-time examination pattern is what helps you learn about time-management as well. That is why using PTE mock test [which you may get while buying PTE Voucher that saves your money too] is what we suggest you blindly. These mock tests are designed based upon the actual PTE exam pattern, contains the same question patterns, and comes with the same time limitations.
By attempting these PTE Practice tests, you can also learn about your weak areas. You will be able to know whether your conclusion is weak or you failed in picking up the key image elements. Once you know the weak areas, you can work upon them and perform par excellently in the real exam. So, never underestimate the power of the practice tests and keep on tracking your preparations by attempting them time after time before you walk into the actual examination hall.
You can also read these tips: Improve PTE Describe Image Score by Proven Tips & Tricks
Some extra dose of information
- There will be a countdown of 25 seconds before the microphone opens up to submit your answer. In those 25 seconds, try to understand the image as deeply as you can.
- You have only one chance to record your response.
- Try to finish your response before the time ends up.
- Never label the image.
So, use these tips and tricks and score big in the PTE Describe Image section.